Sicilian wineries participating in Vinitaly with the Assovini Sicilia association, which continues to expand as it welcomes new members, will present many new developments this year.
Assovini Sicilia is ready to fly to Verona, bringing with it a Sicily represented by high-quality wine. Forty-three wine-growing and producing companies will participate with the association this year, in an area covering 1,342 square metres, representing the different wine-growing areas of Sicily. In the collective exhibition area, Assovini Sicilia will promote DOC and Geographical Indication wines from the entire Region of Sicily, enhancing the image of the island’s winemaking areas and its autochthonous vines.
In the meantime, the association continues to expand: five new members have just been approved, taking the number of members from 85 to 90 producers. The new members are: Torre Mora (CT), Società Agricola Horus 2 (RG), Impresa Agricola Spitaleri Arnaldo (CT), Alcesti (TP) and Società Agricola Morreale Agnello (AG).
Vinitaly is an unmissable event for us: it is an essential point of reference for the trade and an important opportunity for the sales network and importers who meet here every year. As Assovini Sicilia, we work hard to tell the world about Sicily’s importance as a producer of high-quality wine and about its beauty, expressed through outstanding production companies and its natural heritage. At the same time, we are committed to providing important services to members which, year after year, join forces with us to participate in the exhibition”
states Alessio Planeta, Chairman of Assovini Sicilia. The wine producers will be presenting many new developments, such as:
- Alessandro di Camporeale, as well as the new vintages, it will be bringing to the market some old vintages of Kaid Sirah and a vertical tasting of Cataratto Vigna di Mandranova
- Caruso & Minini presents two new organic wines: a Perricone and a Grillo, expanding the “Naturalmente Bio” range
- Castellucci Miano is focusing on autochthonous varieties, especially Cataratto and Perricone, two varieties that are not very well known internationally but are currently winning many awards: such as the Gold Medal awarded to “Miano” (Cataratto) at New York’s International Wine Festival.
- Gorghi Tondi presents three new wines: Gilletto, from Grillo grapes, Ramisella, from Nero d’Avola grapes, both Sicilia DOC wines with no added sulphites, and Rosa dei Venti, a rosé wine made from Nerello Mascalese grapes, Terre Siciliane IGP
- Tenuta di Castellaro presents a new wine called “Ypsilon” from Nerello Mascalese, Nero d’Avola and Corinto grapes as well as a new range called “Massimo Lentsch” an Etna Rosso DOC cru and an Etna Rosso DOC Classico
- Feudo Arancio presents a new size and a new label for its Passito wine Hekate: the label was awarded the Gold Label at the 2019 Vinitaly Design International Competition
- Settesoli will launch two new wines, a white and a red, which will be rated at the top of the “Mandrarossa” range, the names of which will not be revealed until 7th April. We know that they are two “Contrada” wines resulting from five years of research into the calcareous soils of the area, which led to the identification of vineyards with outstanding potential for producing high quality wine.
- Valle dell’Acate will present a new CRU, “Iri da Iri Cerasuolo di Vittoria DOCG Classico 2013”, powerful and elegant, and four BELLIFOLLI wines, the company’s new brand of light, bright wines aimed at millennials.
In the meantime, Vinitalyhas announced a record number of exhibitors for its 53rdedition on 7thto 10thApril, with 4,600 companies participating from 35 countries. As a result, the exhibition area has expanded: this year it will cover 100,000 square metres.
Assovini Sicilia carries out promotion and marketing activities at many events, such as the unmissable ProWein, the most important wine exhibition for German-speaking markets held in March in Düsseldorf, and Vinitaly, an exhibition held in April in Verona. Another event of prime importance for Assovini Sicilia is Sicilia en Primeur, an international preview of the latest vintage that attracts more than 100 journalists from all over the world, bringing together wine and tourism in a unique combination unmatched by any other event dedicated to wine in Italy. In addition to a rich programme of wine tastings, tours are arranged to help visitors explore different parts of the island and discover Sicilian places and culture that are an inherent part of the island’s winemaking history.
Assovini Sicilia brings together 90 companies consisting of small, medium and large production facilities, representing the island’s most important wineries. The companies have three elements in common: total control of the wine-growing and winemaking production chain, from the vineyard to the bottle, the production of high-quality bottled wines and an international view of the market.